Tuesday 23 February 2010

Looking for Poles in Newcastle

Znalezienia Polacy w Newcastle

Jestem Geografiaką- dla mnie, jest całym o miejscu.

For me, being a geographer is all about the place. I hope to thread together the interviews I conduct with Polish migrant parents to a broader visual account of life in Newcastle. I’m using a research technique called ethnographic photography to try to build up an account of Polishness in Newcastle. It means I walk up and down the streets of this city taking photos to capture some expression of identity in the city, be it a graffiti tag, a Newcastle United window sticker, or a national flag- anything that reflects the theme of identity in Newcastle. In particular for this research, expressions of Polishness, or, as I’ve taken to thinking recently, anything that demonstrates that Polish migrants are still here!

Ponieważ ostatnio jak miałam obmyślać, gdzie ma całe Polacy odchodzili?

When I began this research in 2006, finding evidence of Polish migrant residency was relatively easy. At that time I lived in Glasgow (Scotland) and I would regularly walk through the city centre and I hear Polish being spoken, see Polish signs in shop windows or tied to lampposts (the photo above was taken on Byers Road Glasgow in January 2008), and watch the regular delivery of carp put on the‘Polish food’ shelves in Morrisons. Now I’m left searching for evidence that Poles are still here.

Szukają dla oznak co Polacy mieszka tutaj.

Now in a different city, three years on, and I can’t help thinking that something changed…

W zeszłym roku tam były reklamy w języku polskim w sklepach, ale teraz, nie ma. Coś zmieniony…

Mówią mnie, are you leaving Newcastle?
Czy Polacy pozostawiający Newcastle?
Nie wiem…ale… some thoughts for today...

So instead, I’ve taken to the streets of Newcastle to try to find you, my dear friends, the Poles of Newcastle.

Więc zamiast spaceruję okolo w ulice Newcastle, żeby szukać Was, Polacy w Newcastle!

Please watch this space to read about my findings in Benwell, Walker and Wallsend...and more.

3 comments:

  1. I've been getting comments and ideas about my blog sent to my email; here's what people have been saying so far:

    "I had a look through your blog and I noticed that you think that most of Poles came back home. I believe that lots of us actually went back home, but quite a lot of us stayed.
    In fact, instead of 1 Polish shops we have 3 at the moment:
    1) 85 Clayton Street ("Groszek") contact through: www.sklepgroszek.co.uk

    2) inside Newgate Shopping Centre ("Malgosia's"), contact: malgosias.shop@yahoo.co.uk

    3)in Gateshead on High Street (European's Food)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "In my opinnion people who stayed try to find their place among British society and are not thinking of coming back home, but to asimilate with local culture and society. They specialize, go on courses and set up private businesses and lots of them go higher in economic ladder. They don't feel that they are "Geordies", but I'm sure that they think that "in UK everything is easier" and this is what they are after."

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you seen my advertisement on the B2B facebook group? Cheers Kevin

    ReplyDelete