Wednesday 22 September 2010

Polish-English children's book (III)

This is possibly the best present I’ve ever had! A British friend recently tracked down a copy of my favourite children’s book, The Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, and worked her way through a Polish website to buy me the Polish edition of the book. I was so touched. What a great present!

W sierpniu dostałam najlepszy present, było Bardzo Głodna Gąsienica w języku polskim!

I especially love the fact that in the English (Canadian English) version of the book the caterpillar eats ‘a slice of Swiss cheese’, ‘a slice of salami’ and ‘a piece of cherry pie’, but in the Polish version the caterpillar (who’s female by the way) seems less fussy and eats non-specific cheese, sausage and cake. Rather than a cupcake she takes muffins (babeczkę) and she shows a specific interest in frankfurters - and then that evening her belly hurts (‘Ależ ją bolał wieczorem brzuch!’)

The Polish edition of this classic children’s book is published by Wydawnictwo Tatarak.
It makes me smile every time I read it. Każdym razem, gdy czytam tę książke, uśmiecham się do siebie.

No comments:

Post a Comment