Tuesday 25 May 2010

Back to the blog!


Witaj!

After two weeks away from the project following a nightmare house move, and a long weekend away, I'm back and feeling full of inspiration since attending the 'Children, Families and the Migration Experience: Opportunities and Challenges' conference at Middlesex University on 21st May 2010.

For more information about the conference and the ESRC project leading into the conference please go to:
http://www.esrcsocietytoday.ac.uk/ESRCInfoCentre/Minisites/polishpupils

It seems to me that the research field on Polish migrant families in the UK is vast growing, and I'm sure all my colleagues and friends in this field will support me in saying that I hope policy provisions /revisions coming out of this research will soon begin to have a positive impact on the lives and wellbeing of Poles in the UK.

I was particularly taken by the work being conducted by Paulina Pustulka from Jagiellonian University, Cracow, who looks at Polish mothers in Belfast. I also enjoyed and very much respected the presentation by Alexandra Kaczmarek-Day from the University of Cardiff, who is looking at the aspirations and fears of Polish parents in Wales.

Time, I think, to really press on with finding out about Polish families here in the North East so that there's a good representation in the research from this region too. So if you haven't already signed up to take part in my study, please do so now! visit: http://polishfamiliesnewcastle.blogspot.com/p/take-part-in-this-study.html.

On that note I leave you with a very region specific image taken of the Tyne River from the air (or more precisely on a recent Northumbria helicopter ride (you can buy rides at: http://www.northumbria-helicopters.co.uk, and they're amazing!).

Thanks Readers, Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment